By Sharon L. James,Sheila Dillon
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A better half to girls within the old World provides an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of newly-commissioned essays from trendy students at the examine of ladies within the old world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based number of readings to handle the learn of girls within the historical world
- Explores a huge variety of issues in relation to girls in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess conception; ladies in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; ladies and the relatives, the kingdom, and faith; gown and Adornment; lady Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial ladies; girls in overdue Antiquity; Early ladies Saints; and lots of more
- Thematically prepared to stress the significance of historic issues of continuity, improvement, and innovation
- Reconsiders a lot of the well known facts and preconceived notions in terms of girls in antiquity
- Includes contributions from a few of the so much well known students linked to the examine of ladies in antiquity
Read or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best ancient history books
How good built-in have been Jews within the Mediterranean society managed by means of historic Rome? The Torah's legislation appear to represent a rejection of the reciprocity-based social dependency and emphasis on honor that have been regular within the historic Mediterranean international. yet have been Jews quite a humans aside, and outdoors of this widely shared tradition?
Historic graffiti - millions of casual, ephemeral texts spanning millennia - supply a patchwork of fragmentary conversations in quite a few languages unfold around the Mediterranean global. lower, painted, inked or traced in charcoal, the surviving graffiti current a layer of lived adventure within the historical global unavailable from different assets.
This vigorous textual content deals a short, readable description of our universal Western history because it all started within the first human societies and built in old Greece and Rome, then throughout the heart a long time. offering a tightly targeted narrative and interpretive constitution, Brian A. Pavlac covers the fundamental old info that every one expert adults may still comprehend.
From precedent days until eventually the current, spoliation and reutilization have performed a waxing and waning position one of the determinant components within the evolution of city landscapes. they've got contributed considerably to shaping city areas, either bodily and conceptually. This number of essays describes and analyzes the varied sensible and semantic elements of transposing and reutilizing fabrics.
- Behold the Man: Jesus and Greco-Roman Masculinity
- La Palette de scribe 1: L'Hirondelle de Thera (French Edition)
- The Popes and the Church of Rome in Late Antiquity (Routledge Studies in Ancient History)
- Histoire de la pensée africaine (French Edition)
- Der Sklavenaufstand des Spartakus: Was waren die Ursachen für den Ausbruch? Warum war es den Sklaven möglich, den Aufstand über drei Jahre zu halten und ... die Versorgung des Heeres? (German Edition)
Extra resources for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Sharon L. James,Sheila Dillon